Dedicated Memory Care Unit
Lutheran is proud to offer a true, dedicated memory care unit with every element carefully chosen for the best interests of our resident population:
- Staff trained specifically in dementia care
- Therapeutic activities that involve and connect
- Design elements that create a peaceful soothing environment
- Menu selections that support nutrition and hydration
You can be confident that your loved one will be treated as an individual with a unique personality, background, and perspective.
Care Services and Specially Trained Staff
Our memory care unit’s services and care are designed specifically for those living with memory loss and cognitive deficits who require a higher level of specialized care. Our 24-hour in-house care team, along with ancillary providers such as geri-psych services and hospice agencies, provide guidance, assistance and both custodial and skilled care services as needed to maintain dignity and achieve the best quality of life.
Our specially trained care teams provide compassionate supervision, support, and assistance under the direction of our full-time Program Director, Memory Care Unit Manager, and Charge Nurse. Not only do our caregivers understand the unique challenges of caring for dementia patients, but our entire staff has completed the CMS-approved Hand in Hand Dementia Care Program training for person-centered and habilitation care approaches and interactions. Every staff member your loved one may encounter – from housekeeping and dietary to certified nursing assistants and nurses – understands successful strategies for interacting with memory care patients.
The Right Therapeutic Environment
We’ve designed our memory care unit to maximize successful days. Recognizing that residents with dementia are particularly sensitive to their environment, we pay careful attention to environmental details, striving for a secure, supportive setting.
Examples of some environmental considerations for the unit include:
- Multi-purpose day room for dining, family visits, group, and individual activities
- Color choices and design elements to reduce confusion and assist in navigation
- Limited use of the overhead paging system
- Spacious hallway for residents to have freedom of movement
- Memory boxes to assist residents in recognizing their rooms and families encouraged to decorate resident rooms in accordance with personal preferences
- Outdoor courtyard access with staff or family support and supervision
- Namaste Care room use if indicated
More Than Just Meals
Our dining program strives for an inviting environment with appropriate cues and minimal distractions to support optimum nutrition and independence. Our goal is to encourage appropriate dining and hydration for the best possible nutrition. Some of our nutritional program features include:
- Reminders of approaching mealtime for smoother transitions and verbal cues during mealtime as appropriate
- Soft dinner music to enhance the dining experience
- Dinnerware was chosen for color contrast
- Ample time for leisurely dining
- Adaptive equipment such as built-up utensils for maximum independence
- Healthy snacks and portable options to support appropriate nutritional intake
Memory care residents benefit from a structured day. Our daily routine creates expectations and structure which are easily modified to accommodate resident preferences, abilities and past history. Activities programming offered seven days a week provides opportunities for resident interaction and connection with a variety of meaningful choices such as:
- Exercise and Stretching
- Social Events
- Pet therapy
- Table games
- Occupational and household-related tasks offered when appropriate to maintain abilities and connect with past life history
Activities are developed based on the residents’ level of participation, pace, special interest, and backgrounds. Participation is always voluntary and dual and parallel activity programs take place within the unit when space allows. Individual therapeutic programming is made available when appropriate for residents who are unable to join in group activities as well.
Family Support & Successful Visits
Providing family members with understanding and support are important as caring for our residents. We offer support groups and an invitation to families for social events so that families can understand what is happening to their loved one and can achieve a successful time together. We strive to provide guidance in experiencing meaningful visits and successful separation by providing ongoing support, helpful tips and assistance for a positive outcome for both the resident and their loved ones. We strongly recommend families to volunteer in our unit as a way to remain involved.