Namaste Care Program
Named for the Hindu term meaning “to honor the spirit within,” our Namaste Care Program is an approach to caring for those with Alzheimer’s or other related dementias, chronic and/or end-stage diagnoses who can no longer benefit from structured activities programs on our designated memory care unit. Namaste Care strives to turn selected activities of daily living into meaningful moments in a calm and serene environment.
This special program has been shown to offer positive benefits for individuals at various stages in their dementia or chronic disease processes when indicated, with a principle belief in striving for quality of life and respect for individuality.
Our Namaste Care room features a soothing environment, free of distractions and enhanced with soft music, nature videos and use of soothing scents such as lavender. This peaceful, inviting room is open for several hours each day and is staffed by a designated and trained Namaste Caregiver. From hygiene and grooming activities while sitting in relaxing recliners with blankets to simply holding stuff animals, the program’s activities focus on function and the familiar.
- Tranquil designated Namaste Care room helps soothe and reduce restless behaviors
- Families can assist in meaningful activities
- Involvement may reduce the need for some medications and improve sleeplessness
- Activities designed to promote involvement and increased awareness of one’s surroundings
- Contributes to improved quality of life and reduction in stress and anxiousness